Tuesday, November 6, 2012

*STAR* Teacher - Kylene Nix

Norman Elementary's first "STAR" Teacher is....
Kylene Nix
1st Grade



How many years have you been teaching?
8 years
What is your best teaching memory?
I have many...I would say that all the sleepovers I  have had in my class are the best. We bond and make fun memories at our first grade sleepovers.
What is your funniest memory?
One day I had a student come up to me and say I looked really tired and not myself. I looked in the mirror and I was in such a rush I had forgot to put make-up on at all! They didn't think I looked the same. In a hurry to get the day started!
Can you share a reading strategy?
I would have to say stop, skip the word until the end of the sentence and go back and try with first letter sounds and picture clues to figure out the word. Usually the other words can help you.
Can you share a math strategy?
With subtraction or addition when counting up or down, put the starting number in your head (pound it in before counting on).
What advise do you have for teachers just coming into the field?
I would say document everything; parent communication, observations of children and how your lessons went on a daily  basis.
Final thought...
First grade is the best! They come in not reading and by the end of the year you have changed their life forever!
They now can read.
Kylene's Lunch Management.
Fall Art Project
Another GREAT Fall project.
Thanks Kylene for sharing your thoughts, experience and being our first "STAR" Teacher.  
Vicky


No comments:

Post a Comment