Friday, November 16, 2012

*STAR* Teacher--Amy Posey

Today's *STAR* Teacher from Norman Elementary is...
 
Amy Posey
Kindergarten
 
 
 
 
 
How many years have you been teaching?
 
17 years
 
 
What is your best memory?
 
I have many good memories. I love kindergarten because they start with so little and miracles happen by the end of the year. I love it when my kids say, "I can read this now!"
 
 
What is your funniest memory?
 
Just the other day my student said, "This water is from Paris!" She pointed to the drinking fountain where it said PUSH. I smiled and gave her credit for sounding it out.
 
 
Can you share a reading strategy/best practice?
 
To help kids point to words as they are reading, I have them wear "pointer fingers" (Halloween witch fingers or fingers cut out of Dollar Store gloves).
 
 
Can you share a math strategy/best practice?
 
Our new math series emphasizes finger counting. I use the tune to 10 little Indians and sing to finger count. I change the words seasonally---apples in a tree, pumpkins in a patch.
 
 
What advice do you have for teachers just coming into the field?
 
Never stop learning. Keep researching best practices as they change so quickly.
 
 
Pictures from Amy's classroom...
 
 
ABC Station: Matching Sight Words
 
 
 
Art Project

 
 
Math Station: Roll & Graph

 
 
Overhead Station

 
 
Writing Station

 
 
Writing Station: Writing the Room


 
 
Thank you Amy for sharing your experiences, advice and your classroom.
 
Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment