Sunday, December 9, 2012

*STAR* Teacher---Tracy Hansen

Today's *STAR* Teacher from Norman Elementary is...
 
Tracy Hansen
2nd Grade




How many years have you been teaching?

13 years

 

What is your funniest memory?

One year while my Mom was helping to serve my 1st graders our Thanksgiving feast, one of my students asked her if she was at the first Thanksgiving. Kids are always good for a laugh!

 

Can you share a reading strategy/best practice?

I like to do a lot of partner reading. Students have to pay attention as their partner reads in case they get stuck so they are constantly using their reading skills as they read and also when they are helping their partner.
Reading Area
 


Partner Reading

 
 
 
Can you share a math strategy/best practice?

Anytime I can incorporate a math skill into a game, I do. My students love to play games and it is a great way to help reinforce the skills as well.
 
Math Stations







 

What advice do you have for teachers just coming into the field?
Seek out other teachers who have taught that grade level. It is a great way to gain and share ideas. Veteran teachers also know lots of “tricks” that they don’t teach you in college!
 
Christmas Writing



Classroom Theme
 

Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I treat my students the way I want my own children to be treated…with care & compassion. I reinforce having respect for each other and always expect my students to try their best.
 
Tracy--thanks for sharing  your classroom, experience and advice.
Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment