Thursday, April 18, 2013

*STAR* Teacher--Marcy Hammond

Norman Elementary's New *STAR* Teacher is...

Marcy Hammond
4th Grade



How long have you been teaching?
 12 years



What is your best memory?
 My best memory of teaching in the 4th grade is when we take our annual field trip to Ludington Big Sable Point Lighthouse  I love it when some of my student’s see Lake Michigan for the first time, climb the lighthouse to the top and play on the sand dunes. I love the excitement they show during this trip.

What is your funniest memory?
 I love it when my students share funny stories that happen to them or of things that they have done.

Can you share a best Reading Practice?
I really enjoy Reading Base Camps. We team up together and are able to target exactly what each student needs and help them in that area. Every group is working on different strategies that will increase their fluency and comprehension.

Can you share a best Math Practice?
 I differentiate my math lessons. I teach to the ability and readiness level of my students. They all work on the same concept, just at different levels.

What advice would you give to someone just going into the teaching profession?
 Learn the likes and the dislikes of all the students in the classroom. Try to understand the backgrounds of where the students are coming from. Make connections with the students on their learning levels, every child is a unique learner.

Marcy-
What a great experience you are giving your students by taking them on the field trip to see one of our great lakes, lighthouses and sand dunes. Fourth Grade always does a fabulous job with their Lighthouse Unit and we all enjoy their lighthouse displays.
Thank you for sharing your memories, best practices and your classroom!
Vicky

1 comment:

  1. I am delighted to see Marcy Hammond featured this week as your *Star* Teacher. She's always been a star in my book. It's been my privilege to visit her classrooms several times as an presenting author. Marcy has the gift of making each student feel special and loved. You can see their enthusiasm in their eyes and you can also see how much they love her and admire her. Her classroom is a safe, uplifting place for each of her students, and they grow and excel under her guidance and care.

    ReplyDelete