Saturday, February 16, 2013

*STAR* Teacher--Tracy Kailing

Norman Elementary's New *STAR* Teacher is...

Tracy Kailing
Kindergarten





How long have you been teaching?
I have been teaching for 13 years--11 years in Kindergarten, 2 years in first grade and a year of pre-school.

What is your best memory?
My best memories of teaching is when past students come up to me and say "Hi" or give me a hug.  That shows me that they remember me and I have had some impact on them.

What is your funniest memory?
My funniest memory was when I was teaching my second year of 1st grade.  My students were coming in off of the bus and hanging up all their stuff up in their lockers.  They all came running in my room telling me one of my students brought a bottle of beer to school.  At first I thought they were exaggerating BUT they were not! This student had brought a full bottle of Bud Light into school. I was speechless.  J

Can you share a Reading Strategy?
A reading strategy that I think helps children learn to read, is to have them look at the pictures when they start sounding out words that they don’t know before the adult helps them with the word.

Can you share a Math Strategy?
 A math strategy that I think works the best is using math manipulatives.  I believe it brings math to life and the children can really see how math works.  I love how to see when a student gets a skill and the light bulb finally clicks.  J

Do you have advice for new teachers coming into the field?
My advice for a new teacher coming into the field of education is don’t be afraid to ask questions or make mistakes, nobody is perfect.  Watch your colleagues, learn from their ideas, and don’t be afraid to cry. We all have wanted to quit, but you will be fine, tomorrow is another day. 


Pictures from Tracy's Classroom

Teddy Bear Art Project



Students at the Computer Station

Students Partner Reading


Students working on their Journals



Tracy--Thank you for letting us into your classroom and sharing advice, pictures and stories.

Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment