Monday, February 11, 2013

*STAR* Teacher-Brian Mumby

Norman Elementary's New *STAR* Teacher is...


Brian Mumby
2nd Grade




How many years have you been teaching?

I have been teaching for 6 years. In my first year I taught eighth grade Social Studies at Mason County Central Public Schools and the last 5, I have been in second grade here at Reed City.


What is your best memory?

I think the best memories are just watching my students grow and develop as second graders. I love to see them get excited when things click for them, especially the students who struggle or are a little behind the others. When they realize they have it within them and they say I can do it, I think that is one of the best things about teaching!


What is the funniest memory?

My funniest memory is when I was student teaching in Mrs. Ringler’s 1st grade classroom. I had a student come to me straight out of the bathroom and he said, “Mr. Mumby I have a problem.” My first thought was he had an accident. This was not the case. He said to me, “I have two pairs of underwear on and I’m not sure which ones are dirty, Bob the Builder or the Sponge Bob Square pants ones!!!” Needless to say I was very relieved that was all it was.  :)


Reading Strategy/Best Practice:

At the beginning of the year and throughout the year I talk to my kids about being different animals such as chunky monkeys or eagle eyes or a helpful hippo. Each animal stands for a different decoding strategy for figuring out difficult words when they come to them in a story. Chunky Monkey reminds them to chunk up the words, sound out the different syllables. Having Eagle Eyes reminds them to look at the pictures or other words on the page to help them. Being a Helpful Hippo reminds them to ask for help if they have tried everything else.
I do a couple of things to help my students with fluency. I think it is very important to read aloud to my kids. I think it is important to expose them to many different types of books. This is also a good strategy for modelling how books are supposed to be read with expression. I give my students at least 20 minutes every day of D.E.A.R time right after breakfast. During this time they read and take AR tests. I also have my student’s partner read. This gives them a chance to read aloud to one another and help one another with difficult words. We also popcorn read. I will start a story and then call on someone and then they read and call on someone. It helps make sure everyone is following along and it also gives them a chance to work on reading out loud in front of a group. They love having a chance to pick someone. It becomes a game for them!






 



Math Strategy / Best Practice:

I think any time you can get manipulatives in their hands the better off they will be. I use base ten blocks, counting cubes, straws, Judy Clocks, etc. I also like to do different activities with food, such as fruit loops, M&M’s, marshmallows, Teddy Grahams, etc. The kids love these and they get to eat the food when we are done!!


Advice for new teachers:
I think one of the best things you can do is to get with the experienced teachers in your building or within your own grade level. They have so many things to offer you from classroom management techniques to lesson planning. Do not be afraid to ask for help. The veteran teachers are there to help you.


Extra information:

I would say love your job! Always try to keep a smile on your face, be positive and be there for the kids. For a lot of kids, their teachers are all they have and you want to make school a positive, safe, and happy experience for them! I also would say we have a great staff at G.T. Norman especially my fellow Second Grade teachers and it is a pleasure working with all of you.

More Classroom Pictures

Winter Scene with Chalk

Snowman Coloring

"I have a dream..." Writing

Snowman Art



I love the bathroom story- we should write a book with all of the funny stories that happen in our elementary building!

Thanks for having the courage to be the first Male *STAR* Teacher. 
Great job--see... it was painless :-)

Thank you for sharing some stories, advice and your students.
Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment